Cable News Network (1980- ), better known as CNN, is one of the three main cable news stations in the US. Although it has been rightly called the Clinton News Network, it is not as nakedly partisan as MSNBC (Democratic) or Fox News (Republican).
- Ownership: Time Warner, a top donor to Hillary Clinton.
- Location: Time Warner Center in New York.
- Political viewpoint: White Liberal, very much in the vein of Hillary Clinton.
- Viewers: 1.06 million daily viewers (2017), well behind MSNBC (1.65m) and Fox News (2.35m), but more than double its numbers five years ago, thanks mainly to Donald Trump.
- Fans: part of the media diets of Terry McMillan and President Trump.
- Trust: As of July 3rd 2017, 91% of Democrats trust CNN more than President Trump, but only 9% of Republicans do.
Some tropes I have noticed:
- He said, she said – stories are often framed as two opposing points of views. This allows CNN to avoid coming down on one side or the other and therefore seem “fair”. It also lends itself easily to:
- panel discussions – CNN will present a story and then get several talking heads to comment on it. The range of opinions is somewhat broader than on MSNBC or Fox News, which are often little more than partisan echo chambers. But much of CNN’s discussion is screwed up by:
- paid trolls – CNN seems to have a Jerry Springer model of television: put people together on stage who you know will get into an argument. They pay people like Jeffrey Lord (pictured) who they know will troll the discussion rather than offer any kind of serious insight.
- Kellyanne Conway – a Trump adviser who they repeatedly have on even though she lies and avoids answering questions.
- tweetology – they go nuts over Trump’s tweets.
- Broken Africa – war, famine, poverty, etc, seem to be only stories in Africa worth covering.
- Islamophobia – most of the killers they feature seem to be Muslims who kill White people.
- US imperialism – CNN was a big cheerleader for the Gulf War and the Iraq War.
- Disappearing Indian Trick – Did they even cover #NoDAPL?
- Black pathologies – more common before 2012?
- Missing White Women – common before 2006. They got heat for only covering missing people who were pretty White women, so it seems they stopped covering missing people altogether.
- Black Americans: Unlike Fox News, MSNBC or RT, CNN has a regular evening news show hosted by an actual Black person, Don Lemon. He is a coon, but he does regularly have on intelligent Black (Liberal) people who talk about more than just “Black” issues. That puts him leagues beyond anything else on US television, news-wise, outside of Trevor Noah and Roland Martin. But that is not saying much.
- The 2016 election: Even though CNN favoured Hillary Clinton at the political level, they wound up giving Donald Trump way more free television time because he was great for ratings. So great, in fact, that at one point they showed his empty podium live rather than a speech Bernie Sanders was giving at the same time.
Abagond conveniently posts his review of CNN, which he compares favorably to RT, and which, since he has banned me and resw, there is no danger of his assessment being seriously challenged. Whereas he was quick to proclaim RT propaganda, without proof, there is no mention of CNN being a bulwark of the vast mainstream media propaganda matrix, of which there is ample evidence.
And he certainly didn’t mention that CNN is a military psyop (Alexander Cockburn).
This part is particularly amusing.
Black Americans: Unlike Fox News, MSNBC or RT, CNN has a regular evening news show hosted by an actual Black person, Don Lemon. He is a coon, but he does regularly have on intelligent Black (Liberal) people who talk about more than just “Black” issues.
So the only regular black on CNN is a ‘coon’ and Abagond thinks that that is better than no black presence at all. Actually its worse. It puts a black face on imperialism’s propaganda which makes it more palatable to black people, just as Barack Obama’s presidency made imperial depredation acceptable to the majority of black Americans. Black coons in high places is a form of social control and engineering of the black populace. It’s much more dangerous -much worse- than having no blacks at all.
he does regularly have on intelligent Black (Liberal) people who talk about more than just “Black” issues.
Heck, you can get a white talking head to talk about ‘more than just “Black” issues.’ You don’t need a coon for that.
No, Abagond. Banning me does not make you safe from my critique.